Did you set a New Year’s resolution this year? If so, did it involve your oral hygiene? Aha! We thought not. The good news is that it isn’t too late to set goals for 2020 about how you care for your teeth and gums. For help with this endeavor, read on to learn some of the healthy habits we strongly recommend adopting this year.
5 Worthy Oral Health Goals to Adopt in 2020
We have plenty of suggestions on how you can do a better job tackling your teeth in 2020. Here are some of our favorites:
- Brush Gently. All too often, patients brush their teeth with brisk, hard strokes. Unfortunately, this is a horrible idea. Not only is this kind of aggressive brushing totally unnecessary, but more importantly, hard brushing causes enamel wear, teeth sensitivity, receding gums, and even yellower teeth. We find that avoiding multitasking while brushing will help deter from this habit. Some electric toothbrushes also have pressure indicating sensors to monitor how hard you are applying the bristles to your teeth.
- Floss Daily. Was forgetting to floss a problem for you in 2019? Why not make flossing an activity that you always perform before brushing your teeth at night? By making the habit one that you do at the same time and the same way each day, you’ll increase the likelihood that it’ll become a regular part of your routine, all while reducing your risk of developing cavities and gum disease. Sounds win-win to us!
- Swish with Water. For many of our patients, acidic foods and beverages—like oranges, tomatoes, soda (yes, even diet soda), fruit juice, and alcohol—are a regular part of their diet. Yet disappointingly enough, the acid in these items causes enamel erosion. Fortunately, there is something you can do to minimize damage to your teeth. After you’re done eating or drinking acidic foods or beverages, swish water around in your mouth to neutralize the effects of the acid.
- Quit Smoking or Vaping. Yeah, we know. If you smoke or vape, you’ve probably heard this one a million times before. Still, it’s advice worth taking. Smoking and vaping are associated with all kinds of health issues, as well as a variety of dental problems. While some of you may be thinking this goal seems too tough to tackle, the good news is that there are more resources available today to help you quit than ever before. Get Googling to learn about support groups, books, and apps that can help you quit for good!
- Schedule Regular Dental Visits. If you’ve been lax about coming in for a checkup every six months, there’s no better time than the present to get back on a regular schedule. Doing so will help you get your teeth and gums in tip-top shape, while giving us the opportunity to screen for oral cancer. Because oral cancer responds best to early treatment and your dentist is the only health professional to regularly check for it, twice a year dental visits are oh-so-important.
How Can I Schedule a Dentist Appointment at Smile Hilliard?
At Smile Hilliard, it’s convenient as can be to schedule your dentist appointment! To do so, just schedule your visit online or call our office at 614.328.9489 to request an appointment. We’re conveniently located at 6304 Scioto Darby Road in Hilliard.