Pediatric Dentistry Hilliard
Smile Hilliard would like to stress the importance of proper dental care for children. We recommend preventive dentistry for the children that visit our office—meaning that we take a proactive approach to preventing dental problems like tooth decay. By participating in regular dental visits and by involving yourself in the daily oral healthcare of your children, your kids can ultimately have great oral health and avoid unnecessary tooth pain.
Common Questions from Parents
Here are some questions that parents often ask us about pediatric dentistry:
What age does the child need to be to visit your office as a patient?
It is recommended that you bring your child for their first appointment by the time they reach age 3. However, at-home brushing and flossing should occur as soon as teeth appear. The sooner you have their first dental visit, the easier it will be to prevent dental problems from occurring. Our ultimate goal is to make your child’s dental visits a positive experience. Having your child visit our office at a young age will greatly assist us in this goal.
Why does my child need regular dental care? Aren’t they just baby teeth?
Primary teeth, also known as the baby teeth, are very important for a few different reasons. First, healthy primary teeth help make sure your child maintains good nutrition and oral healthcare habits throughout their life. Second, healthy primary teeth allow for clear speech and pronunciation. Third, with healthy primary teeth, your child will have a better smile which can be important for self-image purposes. Finally, primary teeth help to guide the placement of your permanent teeth.
Can I come back to the treatment room with my child for their appointment?
Absolutely! We understand that coming to the dentist for the first time is a new experience which can make your child (and you!) anxious. We welcome you to come back and take part in your child's first appointment, as this visit is often just as educational for the parent as it is for the child. However, studies have shown that children typically do much better at dental visits when parents are not present, as additional people in the treatment room can be a distraction for the child. Therefore, once a level of trust has been established after the initial appointment, we ask that parents remain in the lobby during their child's treatment.
What to Expect
Regular dental check-ups are very important towards the goal of having a happy smile and healthy mouth. A check-up appointment is more than just a teeth cleaning—it allows us to assess the growth and development of your child’s teeth and gums. We recommend that your child have a check-up every six months.
With a pediatric dental visit we offer the five basic services listed below:
- X-rays and oral examinations: we examine your child’s mouth and take x-rays as necessary to check the development of their oral health.
- Dental cleaning: we conduct a professional cleaning and flossing of your child’s teeth to remove any built-up tartar and plaque.
- Treatments: we perform any sealants or fluoride treatments for your child as necessary.
- Education: we teach your child about proper dental routines for brushing and flossing at home, and we encourage children to cooperate with their parents for easier home care.
- Reward pack: we send your child home with new dental supplies and a surprise gift as a reward for their visit! Children with good oral health are invited into our Cavity Free Club and receive a certificate and other goodies.
Schedule an Appointment
Smile Hilliard proudly serves the oral health and needs of you and your children. Should you wish to know more about dental treatment for kids, please contact us or schedule an appointment today!